Nobody likes wearing a mask. But let’s face it – masks are here to stay, at least for a while longer. As many of us transition back to work and school and transition to wearing our masks all day long, we need to make sure these masks are actually doing their job in keeping us safe! Unfortunately, improper mask hygiene may be causing more problems than you even realize! I’m here today to help you keep yourself and your family safe by taking care of that mask.
Most of us already know that our masks need to fit snugly and cover both our mouth and our nose. But, did you know the following are necessary to really protect ourselves, too?
1. Masks should have multiple layers of fabric
2. Wash your hands before and after putting on your mask, as well as after anytime you touch it
3. Use the ear loops to remove your mask
4. Fold it inside-out when not in use and place it in a paper or plastic bag, not in common areas
5. Wash your mask at the end of the day each day, either by hand or in the washing machine
6. Air-drying in direct sunlight is best
7. Dispose of and replace filters, if you use them, daily
8. Purchase multiple masks so you can rotate them out each day
9. Only buy masks from places that you trust
If you’re anything like me, you’re feeling a little guilty for not washing that mask as often as you should be! Whoops… But, now we know better and can do better to protect ourselves. Listen in for more explanation on each of these directives and also make sure to check out the links below to view more information on proper mask safety and sanitation, as well as some places that you can get verified ethically-made masks. We can stay safe and support sustainable brands at the same time – woohoo!
Links from the show:
LLU Health article:
USA Today article:
Places to purchase ethically-made masks:
Listen to the latest episode here!
Apple Podcasts: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/enlighten-me-podcast/id1375899371
iHeart Radio: https://www.iheart.com/podcast/269-the-enlighten-me-podcast-63480681/