It’s (almost) officially summer in the Northern Hemisphere! Summer is my FAVORITE time of year, in part because I love to travel and have people visit! Living in a tourist destination like Charleston, SC has brought no shortage of visitors, and I often get asked for tips on what to do and what to see, and of course where to eat. I’ve lived here for a few years now and have tons of recommendations, but I’ve also seen the need for more education on what NOT to do when you’re here. So, listen in for the best way to do Charleston while keeping it ethical and sustainable.
I wrote a blog post on this topic last month, so if you’d rather read in full detail you can find the link to that below. For a quick run-down on my seven tips, listen along as I cover the following:
- Bring your own reusable bag with you.
- Visit the South Carolina Aquarium.
- Skip the carriage tour and do a walking tour instead.
- Support local restaurants and shops.
- Leave the beach cleaner than you found it.
- Go kayaking instead of speed boating.
- Check out Cypress Gardens over the plantations.
I hope you find these tips helpful to be a more responsible traveler. We can’t wait to have you in the Lowcountry!
Links from the show:
Blog post covering visiting Charleston:
Lowcountry Walking Tours:
Listen to the latest episode here!
Apple Podcasts: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/enlighten-me-podcast/id1375899371
iHeart Radio: https://www.iheart.com/podcast/269-the-enlighten-me-podcast-63480681/